To provide the best care possible, Dr Gault works together with a team of dedicated medical professionals. Every cancer patient that comes to see Dr. Gault will have their case discussed by all of these professionals in order to decide on a personalised treatment plan - these are called Multidisciplinary Team meetings, because they include medical professionals from various disciplines.
Usually, these are the people present in a Multidisciplinary Team meeting:
- Dr Gault
- A medical Oncologist
- A radiation oncologist
This Multidisciplinary approach to the management of cancer provides specialist care from each relevant medical and allied health discipline. Each expert can come together and contribute their knowledge in order to aid informed decision making. This multidisciplinary approach to cancer care is evidence based and has been shown to improve both survival rates and quality of life.
Dr Gault also works with other healthcare professionals such as physiotherapists, psychologists, and dedicated anaesthetists. Dr Gault will also work closely with each patient’s General Practitioner during treatment.
The team that is engaged for each patient is flexible and may expand or reduce according to the patient's individual treatment plan. Dr Gault usually works with specific specialists, but he may also refer to other specialists according to patient needs and requests. If you have a particular specialist in mind, you can discuss that with Dr Gault in your consultation.
Our Breast Care Nurse, Julie
Gault Surgery’s breast care nurse works closely with Dr Gault and patients. Julie plays an essential role as a support person, answering questions and coordinating your journey throughout the treatment.
- Completed a bachelor of nursing at USQ in Toowoomba.
- Worked in the acute hospital setting prior to changing career direction into breast care nursing.
- Completed specialised breast cancer care training through La Trobe university
- 10 years of experience working as a breast care nurse
- Passionate about helping women and their loved ones to navigate through a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Providing support through education, understanding and a listening ear.